The Real Milk Paint Company’s Ultra Bond Adhesion Promoter combines with any color of Real Milk Paint and essentially gives that first coat the properties of a primer. Ultra Bond is designed to give greater adhesion to previously painted or finished surfaces.
Ultra Bond Adhesion Promoter is a non-toxic, low odor water based binder that will release no VOC’s. Suggested ratio is one part Ultra Bond to four parts of mixed paint (mix the powder and water before you add the Ultra Bond.) For example, if you are mixing 1/4 cup powder and 1/4 cup water, you would add 2 Tablespoons of Ultra Bond. If you are mixing 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup powder, you would add 1/4 cup of Ultra Bond.
Ultra Bond will promote Real Milk Paint® adhesion to non porous surfaces such as glass, metal, melamine, and some plastic surfaces (always test first.)
Ultra Bond will help Real Milk Paint® adhere to surfaces previously finished with:
- Paint (milk paint, oil based paint, latex)
- Lacquer, Varnish, or Shellac
- Oil based polyurethane or water based polyurethane
The following video, used with permission from The Real Milk Paint Company, will help you with the mixing process.
- Make sure your surface is free of any wax, grease or silicone residue. Clean with TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) or other non-residue cleaner.
- Scuff or sand the surface to promote adhesion.
- Mix 1 part Ultra-Bond to 4 parts liquid Real Milk Paint ®. Apply this as the first coat.
- Allow the first coat to dry for one hour.
- Paint remaining coats with pure Real Milk Paint ® (only mix Ultra Bond with the paint for the first coat.)
IMPORTANT: Always do a test and allow it to dry for at least 24 hours. This will ensure that you will achieve your desired result on your finished piece.